Project

The mystical radio telescope is a parabola depicting "Epiphany" and is composed of ceramic pieces cut by laser. A steel gnomon stands in the middle.

The monument was designed by Philippe Lejeune: French painter born 15th November 1924 in Montrouge, France. Founder of the Art school in Etampes; accorded the title "Peintre de Armée de terre" (Painter of the French Army) in 1995 and "Chevalier de la legion d´honneur" (Knight of the Legion of Honor) in 2006.

The mystical radio telescope
A semi-circular wall rises out of the ground. The picture "Epiphany" is mounted onto this parabolic surface and looks like a large placard. "Epiphany" is more or less a billboard advertisement. Thanks to the use of this advertising technique, the message is insistent and ever present. We can understand the picture as Advent; that is to say, a perpetual advertising campaign for the everlasting election.
Prayers which represent the liturgy of man are engraved on the back of the parabola. Three contemporary effects are thus used:
Advertisement conveyance information technology
In the form of a billboard floor inscriptions - and lighting effects.

Epiphany, above ground level, is accessible to the beholder via three steps, that is to say: via human dignity, freedom and truth, comparable with the pilgrimage of the Magi.

The location
The "Monument to Freedom of Religion and Belief as a Basis of Peace" has been erected at the Monastery of Heiligenkreuz in the Vienna Woods (Lower Austria) on a piece of open ground in front of the Baden Gate. The Monastery of Heiligenkreuz is an active Cistercian abbey founded in 1133 by St. Leopold. It attracted a great deal of media attention in 2007 due to a Papal visit as well as a visit by Oscar prizewinner Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck. In 2008, the monastery stormed the international charts with its Gregorian Choral «Chant».

Ex Umbris et imaginibus in Veritatem "Out of shadows and phantasms into the truth" - the inscription on John Henry Newmans (1801-1890) memorial stone.
On Sunday, 4th October 2009, the monument was blessed. After the blessing, the assembled guests were invited to a talk by Prince Gundakar von und zu Liechtenstein, Auxiliary Bishop Dr. Andreas Laun and Abbott Gregor Ulrich Henckel Donnersmarck. This was followed by a discussion.


Gallery